Questions About Mold You Need To Know

Being educated about the causes and hazards of mold, as well as how to best remove and prevent it can help you successfully deal with mold problems. Here are the answers to 10 frequently asked questions about mold in homes: 

  1. What’s mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that lives almost everywhere there is moisture, oxygen, and organic matter. Mold plays a significant function in nature as it helps decompose organic material. However, mold found inside can lead to health problems, as well as structural problems to buildings.

  1. Why does mold grow in homes?

Mold releases microscopic mold spores into the atmosphere. Since mold spores are airborne, all homes have mold spores in them, some more than others. Mold grows in homes because virtually all homes meet the demands of mold growth: moisture, nutrients (for example, cellulose), and time.

  1. Where does mold grow in homes?

Mold commonly grows in areas which are vulnerable to moisture, such as the cellar and bathroom. However, mold can also grow in hidden regions of the home, like behind walls, beneath the floor, in the air-conditioning system, in the crawl space, or the loft.

  1. When does mold become a problem?

Although all homes have mold spores in them, bigger patches of mold growth can cause health issues and structural damage. Signals of mold in homes include a musty odor and the visible white or black specks in areas of your house that have a water problem.

  1. Can I expose to mold?

When there’s mold growing in your house, you may be exposed to it. When mold is disturbed, it releases spores into the indoor air that you breathe. Other forms of vulnerability include touching the mold itself or moldy items, eating moldy food, and hand-to-mouth contact.

  1. How does mold affect our health?

Mold-sensitive individuals may exhibit allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, wheezing, and skin irritation. Mold exposure may also activate asthmatic symptoms that include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness. Mold can also cause irritant reactions, which are very similar to those of an allergic reaction.

  1. Should I test for mold?

When you suspect there is mold growth in your home, you do not need to know which type of mold it’s, but you ought to get it removed as soon as possible. It’s not necessary to test for mold if you already observe the symptoms of mold growth inside your home. In accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), sampling and culturing aren’t reliable in determining your health risk.

  1. Could I clean up the mold myself?

Even though it is almost always better to seek the services of a certified mold removal company, you might be able to get rid of modest patches of mold yourself (which are smaller than 10 square feet). If you are uncertain how to remove mold, or if the infested region is larger than 10 square feet, then contact a skilled practitioner. Learn more about services like this.

  1. How do I clean up mold?

Removing mold effectively is harder than most people believe. To begin with, you need to use protective clothing to reduce mold exposure. Then, you need to isolate the mold, so that it will not spread to other rooms. Following that, fix the water issue and dry the surface. To clean up mold, scrub a combination of household detergent and water onto the surface (don’t use bleach).

  1. How do I prevent mold growth in my property?

Preventing mold requires fixing moisture issues within your property. Repair leaks in the walls, roof, gutters, and pipes, keep indoor humidity at 30-50percent with a dehumidifier, ventilate appliances that create moisture, and maintain the gutter system tidy. Learn more mold prevention tips here.

For more information and ideas about mold prevention and elimination, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn to get our alarms. Contact PuroClean for mold remediation providers and water damage repair. We can get back your property in order quickly and efficiently.