What To Do After a Disaster In Your Home

Disasters can hit homes in many ways, whether from floods, fires, storms, or other catastrophic natural events or sources inside the house, together with the most common being: pipe bursts, sewage backflows, washing machine overflows, kitchen fires, along carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Here’s some information on how to deal with and prevent the disasters lurking from within your house:

1. Pipe Bursts

  • When a pipe burst happens, a couple of gallons per minute can spurt out. If it occurs, shut off the water valve, then turn to the faucet in the home to let the water pour out of the faucet instead of the burst pipe. When the flow stops, the water must be eliminated immediately. Call your plumber, insurance broker, and water damage specialist as soon as possible.
  • Pipe bursts usually happen when the water in them freezes. Read here.

4. Kitchen Fires

  • Frequent kitchen fires include grease fires, toaster fires, stovetop fires, and oven fires.
  • When a pan caught fire, never carry it outside, as you can spill burning oil onto other items. Never use water, as this may splatter hot grease and cause burns. Use a fire extinguisher, put a lid on the pan or drop baking soda on it.
  • For toaster fires, unplug the cord (when safe to do so), then use a fire extinguisher or pour baking soda into it.
  • In case of a stovetop fire, extinguish the flames with baking soda after turning off the oven.
  • If you have a fire in your oven, then turn off the heat, then leave the oven door closed and wait for the fire to die out.
  • WARNING: Never use flour or sugar to douse a fire, because these products may cause a small explosion.

5. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning death in the U.S. Be alert to CO poisoning symptoms (like headache, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea), particularly when gas stoves or wood stoves are used inside.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home to prevent CO poisoning. Never dismiss an alarm, even if no one feels ill. CO is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas.
  • Check more carbon monoxide safety hints here.

These are just some of the disasters that can happen on your property. As with any tragedy, you can prevent one by being prepared and informed. PuroClean is ready to come to a house’s rescue in case of a tragedy involving fire, mold, and water damage. Visit this website to learn more.